'The Carrodus Violin', 1887

'The Carrodus Violin', 1887

Labelled:

BY SPECIAL PERMISSION OF MR. J. T. CARRODUS THIS VIOLIN IS NAMED THE CARRODUS VIOLIN. H&Co No. 57 ANNO 1887. Title registered as a Trade Mark




String length: 323mm

Back length: 355mm



"The Carrodus Violin" was a trade name of Hawkes & Co in London's. These violins were imported from Mirecourt, the main French centre of violin making, from the late 1880s to the early 1900s. They were named in honour of the violin virtuoso John Tiplady Carrodus (1836-1895), a celebrated concert master, soloist, and violin teacher.

 

Labelled:

BY SPECIAL PERMISSION OF MR. J. T. GARRODUS HIS VIOLIN IS NAMED THE GARRODUS VIOLIN. H&Co No. 57 ANNO 1887 Title registered as a Trade Mark

String length: 323mm

Back length: 355mm