Gary Leahy, one of the rising stars of bow making, creates award winning violin, viola and cello bows in the French tradition.
His initial training took place in New Zealand. He then returned home to Ireland to train for three years with Noel Burke, one of the leading Irish bow makers, from 2002 to 2005. This prepared Gary to open his own highly successful workshop in 2005, in Newport Co. Mayo. Gary also spends as much time as possible with French bow makers to continue to expand his knowledge and skills.
Gary has received many prestigious awards throughout his career including:
- Artist in Residence, Centre Culturel Irlandais, Paris, 2008
- 1st prize Musical Instrument category, RDS 2010
- Gold medal for violin bow, Violin Society of America 2010
- Gold medal for viola bow, Violin Society of America 2010
- Gold medal for cello bow, Violin Society of America 2010
- Grand Prix de la Ville de Paris for viola bow, Concours Etienne Vatelot, November 2011
- Certificate of Merit for cello bow, Violin Society of America 2012
- Gold medal for violin bow, Violin Society of America 2012
- Gold medal for viola bow, Violin Society of America 2012
- "Coup de coeur" du public ( for sound), Violoncelle en Seine, Paris, December 2012
We are delighted to be able to share with our customers bows from such a highly respected maker. Please call 029 20 22 77 61 for an appointment, as Gary's bows must be tried!
Cardiff Violins Testimonials:
"I had been looking for a new viola bow for a little while when I was recommended to try one of Gary Leahy's. This bow stood out immediately. It is beautifully balanced and draws a lovely focused sound from the instrument; the workmanship is excellent. I am delighted with it."
Andrew Jones, Pembrokeshire